What are some good muscle car movies?
I am beginning a review series comparing muscle car movies, and I think I’ve selected a few rare gems. We’re not just talking about the Steve McQueen and Nicholas Cage classics, but I wanted to find some underrated movies not mentioned very often when talking about car chases, hot women, and more car chases.
I’ve already reviewed Bullitt (1968) previously, so I think that’s the standard for a muscle car movie. Everything else I look at is going to be held to that standard: good tone, nice mood, some decent characters and action, along with at least one decent car chase. I think that’s pretty minimal for judging a muscle car movie as good.
TVTyrant.com had a good list of muscle car movies, but I’m going to need to substitute in a couple for the few I’ve already seen. The TVTyrant.com list is this:
1. The Blues Brothers (1980)
2. The Driver (1978) – Never heard of this one, but it stars Ryan O’Neal and it was written by Steve McQueen.
3. Smokey and the Bandit (1977)
4. The Gumball Rally (1976) – This is a comedy. Never heard of it.
5. French Connection (1971) – I’ve never seen this Gene Hackman movie.
6. Two Lane Blacktop (1971) – This is a James Taylor movie about hot rod racing I’ve never seen. It sounds good.
7. Gone in 60 Seconds (2000) – I think the Nicholas Cage remake is better than the original.
Hotrod.com added American Graffiti (1973), Hollywood Knights and some of those I’ve already mentioned. They also mentioned Vanishing Point (1971), as a top movie. Hotrod.com also put Bullitt (1968) at the top.
Given this, Bullitt tops my list at #1. Considering the rest of the information I gathered, I am going to try ranking the following the best muscle car movies of this list:
2. Two Lane Blacktop (1971)
3. Gone in 60 Seconds (2000)
4. The Driver (1978)
5. Vanishing Point (1971)
6. American Graffiti (1973)
7. Smokey and the Bandit (1977)
8. Rush (2013)
9. Days of Thunder (1990)
10. The Fast and the Furious (2001)
Maybe we’ll make it a bracket competition and see which one I like the best. That should be interesting. Have you seen any of these movies? Which one do you like the best?