This year’s 31 Days of Halloween festival
This year during October, I’m having another 31 days of Halloween, watching one movie per day, because I’m dumb. The only rule this year is that I can’t watch anything I saw last year, but there’s plenty of classics and great movies left over. The leading candidates are probably The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Changeling, which I haven’t seen in a while. Both those movies are awesome, so I would probably put them both on the list, for sure. However, I’m on the fence withi a lot of other ones. I need a zombie movie too, so I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go hardcore or keep it simple. And last, I needed some Hammer or Universal classics, but it’s getting hard to find ones I haven’t already reviewed on this site or seen several times over. So I’ve got to choose 31 of these classics. Which ones should I choose?
50. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) – This one is classic.
49. Blair Witch Project (1999) – I like this movie while most others hate it. Underrated?
48. Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) – The original I’ve never reviewed on this site.
47. From Dusk til Dawn (1996) – I’ve got to decide whether I really hate this Quentin Tarantino movie or not.
46. The Omen (1976) – This is probably on the list for sure.
45. Insidious (2011) – This is probably a modern classic.
44. Tales from the Darkside, the Movie (1990) – This one is underrated.
43. Saw (2004) – A lot of people have grown to hate this movie, but does it still hold up?
42. Children of the Corn (1984) – This is probably one of the least underrated movies I’ve seen.
41. Vampire in Brooklyn (1995) – This is another one of Eddie Murphy’s bad career decisions.
40. Sleepaway Camp (1983) – This is a little known classic with a weird ending.
39. Hellraiser Inferno (2000) – I’ve never seen this direct-to-video sequel. Is it crap?
38. Hatchet (2006) – This is one movie that contributed to the rise of modern horror.
37. The Grudge (2002) – The Japanese version is superior to the American remake.
36. The Prophecy (1995) – This is a personal favorite and probably makes the list easy.
35. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) – One of the originals.
34. The Hills have Eyes (1977) – This is not a favorite, but this movie is at least original.
33. Scream (1996) – I really hate this movie.
32. The Eye (2002) – The original Japanese classic.
31. The Eye 2 (2004) – The Eye 2 is terrible no matter what the culture is.
30. The Wicker Man (1973) vs The Wicker Man Remake
29. The Devil’s Rejects (2005) – One of Rob Zombie’s few good movies.
28. Creepshow (1982) – This is a fairly good movie.
27. Phantasm (1979) – This is an absolute classic.
26. Beetlejuice (1988) – I like this comedy a lot, but I don’t think it really is a horror movie.
25. Return of the Living Dead (1985) – The first zombie movie I thought of after I saw all the Romero movies last year.
24. The House that Dripped Blood (1971) – The only Christopher Lee movie I haven’t seen.
23. Army of Darkness (1992) – Comedy horror movies are not represented enough on this list.
22. The Pit and the Pendulum (1961) – This is a great Vincent Price movie.
21. In the Mouth of Madness (1994) – Sam Neill really makes this movie worthwhile.
20. Prince of Darkness (1987) – The only horror movie I can’t watch over and over because it is too creepy.
19. Poltergeist (1982) – I don’t hold this family horror movie in much regard.
18. House of Wax (1953) – Paris Hilton destroyed the reputation of this Vincent Price classic.
17. Carrie (1976) – A very original movie.
16. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943) – The first Universal team-up movie.
15. The Changeling (1980) – Underrated performance by George C. Scott.
14. Cabin Fever (2002)- I dislike this successful horror movie.
13. The Hitcher (1986) – A great movie.
12. Paranormal Activity (2007) – A really successful horror movie that started the jump scare movement.
11. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) – The cartoon classic.
10. 28 Days Later (2003) – The movie that was brave enough to make a zombie movie before they were “cool”.
9. Fright Night (1985) – This is actually a comedy.
8. Theatre of Blood (1973) – ANOTHER Vincent Price movie? What’s going on here?
7. Suspiria (1977) – An Argento movie I’ve never seen all the way through.
6. Damien: The Omen II
5. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) – This is an underrated Vincent Price movie.
4. House of the Long Shadows (1983) – The last time Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing are together.
3. We Are Still Here (2015) – A haunted house movie for 2015.
2. The Guest (2010) – A retro newcomer.
1. Psycho (1960) – Is this a horror movie?